1 (406) 563 - 4000|info@adlc.us

Tri-County Environmental Health

Home>Departments>Tri-County Environmental Health

Environmental Health is the aspect of public health that addresses the interaction between human health and the environment.
Our health is affected by the quality of air, land, food and water resources. Maintaining and improving public health by managing those environmental factors that affect health is the goal of this department. We serve the Tri-county region of Anaconda-Deer Lodge, Granite and Powell counties.


Main Office:

Anaconda -Deer Lodge County Courthouse

800 Main Street

Anaconda, MT 59711

Located on the Third Floor to the left of the District Judge’s office.

Chad Lanes, Sanitarian:

OFFICE:  (406) 563-4066

CELL:    (406) 560-3190

Karen Solberg, Assistant Sanitarian:

OFFICE:  (406) 563-4067

CELL:  (406) 560-3212

Administrative Assistant: (406) 563 – 4035

Deer Lodge County: Monday-Friday 8:00am -5:00pm

Granite County:  Mondays or by appointment

Powell County:  Thursdays or by appointment

Email Us
The Food and Consumer Safety Program provides public health protection through the delivery of technical services, education and training, information, and enforcement of health protection standards throughout Deer Lodge, Powell, and Granite counties. This program reduces the incidence of diseases and the occurrence of unhealthy conditions in the Tri-County’s retail food service, wholesale food, public accommodations, pools, spas, and other institutions which serve the public. For more information regarding food and consumer safety in Montana visit the Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS)’s website.

Restaurants:  New or remodeling restaurants must submit a Plan Review Application so that plans can be compared with current health codes.  This review can avoid costly changes!  Please see this guidance plan review document Food Estab Plan Review

Mobile Food:  means a retail food establishment that serves or sells food from a motor vehicle, a cart, a trailer, a boat, or other movable vehicle that periodically or continuously changes locations and requires a servicing area to accommodate the unit for cleaning, inspection, and maintenance.  New or remodeling mobile food establishments require plan review prior to licensing.  See these documents for information:     MobileEstablishmentGuidelines         Mobile Food Plan Review

Temporary Food: a retail food establishment that in a licensing year either (a) operates at a fixed location for no more than 21 days in conjunction with a single event or celebration (i.e.-Alive After 5) OR (b) uses a fixed menu and operates within a single county at a reoccurring event or celebration for no more than 45 days. See this additional guidance document:  Food Permit Guide

Temporary food establishments need to fill out this form:  PlanRevwShortTermFood   There is no fee for a non-profit organization to receive their local permit.  For-profit groups or individuals will pay a license fee of $85 for 1-2 employees, $115 for over 2 employees.

Cottage Food Operation:  means a person who provides, manufactures, or packages cottage food products only in a kitchen in a registered area of a domestic residence and only for direct sale to a consumer in this state.  Please look at this guidance document and application: CottageFood

Farmer’s Markets: means a farm premises, a food stand owned and operated by a farmer, or an organized market authorized by the appropriate municipal or county authority.  Please see this guidance document: 2016 FARMERS MARKET

Food Safety:  All Retail Food Establishments that are not considered low-risk, as determined by this office, are required to have a Certified Food Protection Manager on staff.  Please see these links for information on classroom instruction and online trainings available.  Tri-County Environmental Health offers the ServSafe Class in April and October/November.  For ServSafe online training: https://servsafe.com/home     For classroom training statewide:  http://dphhs.mt.gov/publichealth/FCSS/RetailFood/foodmanagertrainings.aspx

Tri County Environmental Health Food Safety News:  Late Winter 2016 (March)

We often field questions on these subjects:

Mold:  please read the helpful information in this booklet from the EPA moldguide

Radon: Please visit the state Radon information site at:  http://deq.mt.gov/Energy/EnergizeMT/radon

Wildfire Smoke: Get the latest updates from this DEQ website.  http://deq.mt.gov/Air/FireUpdates

Asbestos: Please visit this DEQ website for information:  http://deq.mt.gov/Public/asbestos

Household Hazardous Waste: The next collection event is tentatively scheduled for Spring 2017.  Please save these items for the collection:

Electronic Waste:  The Anaconda Deer Lodge County  Class III Landfill has a permanent collection site for E-Waste.  Please visit the landfill page at:  https://adlc.us/departments/planning/class-iii-landfill/

The Environmental Health Department provides education, permitting, and licensing to the Tri-County area for septic systems, wells, and sanitation in subdivisions  to meet state water quality standards.  Standards are in place to protect the health of residents and the environment.

Septic Systems (Onsite wastewater treatment)

Tri-County Onsite Wastewater Regulations:  TriCounty Wastewater Regulation

On-site Wastewater Treatment Application (aka Septic Application)  TCEHSepticPermitApplication

Certified Installer Program-  Being a certified installer is not required in order to install septic systems in the Tri-County jurisdiction.  Certified Installers have demonstrated knowledge and awareness of correct procedures, permitting and inspection of systems through examination .  They are allowed to perform self-inspections of their installations.  If you are interested in becoming certified, please contact this office for a packet.

Guideline to installation of septic systems in each county:  Trifold

Well Drilling

A well permit is required in Anaconda-Deer Lodge County ONLY.  Please use this application form:  ApplicationWellPmt2015

Water Sampling

Sample kits are available in this office for a variety of tests.  If you live in Anaconda-Deer Lodge County and are in the “Superfund Domestic Well Overlay” , please contact the Community Protective Measures Program at 563-7476 for information on Residential Well Water Sampling or previous sample results.

Questions about wells?  Please see this document:  Well-Owners-Manual-Updated-3-3-16



Junk or abandoned vehicles pose a threat to public health and safety. When made aware of an abandoned or junk vehicle, the Environmental Health Department works with vehicle owners to resolve the situation. Complete and submit this form to report an abandoned or junk vehicle. Contact Law Enforcement to report an illegally parked vehicle.
There are several ways that a parcel is created and this affects the requirements for developing the property.

  1.  Properties under 20 acres may have a Certificate of Subdivision Approval (COSA) which means the parcel has been reviewed by Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).  These parcels have an approved site plan showing septic and well locations.  You should receive a copy of this plan when you purchase the property.
  2. A parcel may have been created with a restriction that does not allow a building with water or sewer.  Such parcels must be reviewed by DEQ to “lift this restriction”.
  3. A parcel may also have been created prior to subdivision regulations.  In these cases, local review by the Environmental Health Department is required to determine if septic and well sites are possible.  Additional tests and engineering services may be required.
  4. Parcels over 20 acres in size are also subject to local review.  Visit the Montana Department of Environmental Quality website for more information.


Chad Lanes
Chad LanesTri-County Sanitarian

Karen Solberg | Tri-County Assistant Sanitarian

Paula Arneson, Administrative Assistant