Food & Consumer Safety Programs


The Food and Consumer Safety Program provides public health protection through the delivery of:

  • Education and Training
  • Enforcement of Health Protection Standards
  • Information
  • Technical Services


This program reduces the incidence of diseases and the occurrence of unhealthy conditions in the Tri-County’s:

  • Pools
  • Public Accommodations
  • Retail Food Service
  • Spas
  • Wholesale Food
  • Other Institutions which serve the Public

For more information regarding food and consumer safety in Montana visit the Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS)’s website.


New or remodeling restaurants must submit a Plan Review Application so that plans can be compared with current health codes. This review can avoid costly changes. Please see this guidance plan review document (PDF).

Mobile Food

Mobile Food refers to a retail food establishment that serves or sells food from a motor vehicle, a cart, a trailer, a boat, or other movable vehicle that periodically or continuously changes locations and requires a servicing area to accommodate the unit for cleaning, inspection, and maintenance. New or remodeling mobile food establishments require plan review prior to licensing. See these documents for information:

Temporary Food

Temporary food refers to a retail food establishment that, in a licensing year, either:

  • Operates at a fixed location for no more than 21 days in conjunction with a single event or celebration (i.e. Alive After 5)
  • Uses a fixed menu and operates within a single county at a reoccurring event or celebration for no more than 45 days

Learn more with this additional guidance document (PDF).

Application & Fees

Temporary food establishments need to fill out the Short Term Food Service Plan Review Application (PDF). There is no fee for a non-profit organization to receive their local permit. For-profit groups or individuals will pay a license fee of $85 for 1 to 2 employees, or $115 for over 2 employees.

Cottage Food Operation

Cottage Food Operation refers to a person who provides, manufactures, or packages cottage food products only in a kitchen in a registered area of a domestic residence, and only for direct sale to a consumer in this state. Please view the Cottage Food Operation Guidance and Permit Application (PDF).

Farmer’s Markets

Farmer's Markets refer to a farm premises, a food stand owned and operated by a farmer, or an organized market authorized by the appropriate municipal or county authority. Please see the Farmer's Market Guidelines (PDF).

Food Safety

All retail food establishments that are not considered low-risk, as determined by this office, are required to have a Certified Food Protection Manager on staff.